Galettes!! Simple, versatile and charming rustic imperfection.
When I made my first galette, it quickly became my favorite way to use pie crust. I love how incredibly simple and versatile it can be, either filled with sweet or savory ingredients. Plus its imperfect free shape form and beautifully browned edges, which gives a homemade and, at the same time, artisanal quality.
My gluten-free rustic plum galette is a wonderful way to enjoy those last juicy plums of the season. This easy yet impressive dessert captures all the best flavors and textures. The flaky crust pairs perfectly with sour plum marmalade, warm spices and natural sweetness of the soft plums.
You don’t need a tart pan to make this galette. All you have to do is roll out the dough, spread the marmalade in the middle, arrange the plums and fold the edges. Simple as that. For an extra Autumn look, save a piece of pie crust to cut out the shape of the leaves.
Feel free to customize your galette by using different fruits or adding a handful of sliced almonds for extra flavor and texture.
For the Gluten-Free Galette Crust:
- 90 g almond flour
- 80 g rice flour
- 50 g tapioca starch
- 20 g potato starch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 30 g powdered xylitol or coconut sugar
- 80 g ghee butter
- 30 g lactose free creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
For the Plum Filling:
- 4 tbsp plum marmalade
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 7-8 big sweet and ripe plums (pitted and sliced)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 small egg for egg wash + 1 tbsp water (mix egg with water until well combined)
Prepare the Gluten-Free Galette Crust:
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, then add chopped butter and mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks and creme fraiche and using your fingertips knead the dough until smooth.
- Form the dough into a disk. Then wrap it and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the Plum Filling:
- Mix plum marmalade with cinnamon and cardamom. (If your marmalade is too sour add some honey)
Assemble the Galette:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the dough* on a baking paper then spread marmalade leaving 3 cm from the edge. Transfer the parchment paper and dough onto a baking sheet. Arrange the plum slices on the top of marmalade. (If your plums are not sweet brush them with some honey over the top)
- Using baking paper, carefully fold the edges of the dough over the plum filling, creating pleats as you go. For the golden brown color, brush the crust with a little egg wash.*
- Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes.
- Allow the galette to cool slightly before slicing. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.