Whether you’re seeking a comforting bowl of meal or looking to add more healthy greens to your diet, this soup is a delightful choice that will please both the palate and the body.
Broccoli and nettle soup not only captivates the senses with its vibrant color and creamy texture but also offers plenty of health benefits. Both main ingredients: broccoli and nettle supports your immune system, promotes anti-inflammatory effects, aids in detoxification, and nourishes your body with essential vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, C, B and K, iron, calcium, and magnesium.
This recipe is vegan and grain free. It’s very easy and quick to make and is ready in about half an hour. If you’ve never eaten nettle soup before, definitely try this one. The combination of ingredients with a sprinkle of aromatic fresh herbs is literally a symphony of flavors that will make you want more.
Ingredients for 4 portions
- 400g broccoli (cut into florets)
- 100g fresh nettle leaves*
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stick of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 allspices
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup of coconut milk (about 120 ml)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- about 4 1/2 - 5 cups of water (about 1100 ml)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh thyme (chopped)
- Chop carrot, celery, onion and garlic .
- Add the coconut oil to a large pot and warm on medium high heat. When the oil starts to simmer add the onions and sauté until slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the turmeric, garlic, bay leaves and allspices. Stir and cook for a few seconds just to release the aroma of spices.
- Add carrots, celery, salt and pepper and pour 2 cups of water just to cover all the vegetables. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and nettle leaves to the soup and stir. Pour another 2-3 cups of water just to cover all ingredients and cook on a medium heat for about 15 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pick out all bay leaves and allspices from the soup. Add lemon juice and coconut milk. Then using a blender, blend the soup until smooth. Heat the soup just to boil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup with freshly cut thyme, parsley, radish or spring onion.
* Depending on the location the best time to harvest nettle is from April to June, just before it starts to flower. It is important to make sure that the area is not contaminated with contaminants or pesticides to keep it clean.