Traditional polish cheese potato pierogies are made with mashed potato, farmers cheese and caramelized onion. In my recipe I substitute farmers cheese with original feta cheese, which is easily available.
You might also like my other recipe for dumplings:
- Gluten Free Quinoa Pierogi with Cabbage and Mushrooms
- Gluten Free Mini Dumplings with Wild Mushrooms (Uszka)
Ingredients for 33-35 dumplings
- 140g white quinoa flour
- 60g buckwheat flour
- 50g tapioca starch
- 7g psyllium husk
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 190-200 ml warm water
Potato Feta Cheese Filling:
- 500g cooked mashed potatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g feta cheese (you can replace with 250g farmers cheese)
- 1 tablespoon ghee butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon melted ghee butter ( for coating cooked dumplings)
- Make potato feta cheese filling: Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee butter in a pan on a small heat. Then add the onion and sauté until gold. In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, feta cheese and onion. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix until well combined.
- Make the dough: In a medium bowl mix together all dried ingredients with 190 ml of warm water and olive oil. Knead the dough until firm and elastic. If necessary add more water.
- Assemble the dumplings: Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a kitchen towel to keep it moist and elastic. Roll out about a third of the dough to 1-2 mm thick. * Use an overturned glass or cookie cutter to cut dough into circles. Shape the dumpling one at a time. Top the first dough circle with a teaspoonful of filling, slightly off center. Fold the dough circle in half over the filling and press together, crimping to seal. (Go over the edge twice to make sure everything is sealed completely) Place shaped dumplings on a wooden plank dusted with buckwheat flour and cover with a kitchen towel.
- Cook the dumplings: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Drop 7-8 dumplings in boiling water and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Allow the water to come back to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. When the dumplings rise to the surface cook for another 4-5 minutes. Then fish them out with a slotted spoon and place on a clean plate, covered with melted ghee butter.
- Serve dumplings freshly cooked and sprinkled with sauté onion or fried until golden on a pan.