I am so happy to share with you this simple recipe, especially now when the soup season is on. So why not comfort yourself with a bowl of nourishing soup and seasonal flavour in those cold days. The soup is super healthy, full of vitamins and gives you a nice kick of energy. Rich taste of beetroot mixed with coconut milk and refreshing lime creates a smooth velvety texture and unique flavour that will convince everyone to love this soup.
Top the soup with freshly cut coriander, baked beetroot and enjoy with crusty bread if you desire.
- 800 g beetroot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stick of celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5 allspices
- 3 bay leaves
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice from 1 lime
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 2 medium beetroots
- Fresh coriander/cilantro
- First prepare beetroots for topping: Wrap 2 beetroots in foil and bake in the oven at 190°C for about 1 hour or until tender. Remove the beetroots from the oven and let them cool, then peel them, chop and put aside.
- Place all chopped vegetables, bay leaves and allspices in a large pot. Pour in water ( just to cover the vegetables) and cook covered on a medium heat for around 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pick out all bay leaves and allspices from the soup. Then using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add lime juice, coconut milk and heat the soup just to boil, then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup with chopped baked beetroot and freshly cut coriander.